Monday, June 6, 2011

Cant change ubuntu screen resolution?

My ubuntu screen reslolution is stuck at 640x480 when attempting to change it via system/prefrences/screen resolution nothing happens after clicking the arrows for either the resolution or the refresh rate, i know my monitor supports at least 1024x768 how can i change it to this?Cant change ubuntu screen resolution?
I used to have such problem. I installed Ubuntu on laptop (with max 1024x768), but I am using external monitor (with max 1600x1200). I don't remember the exact solution to this problem.



The problem lies with X windows system configuration (assuming the drivers are ok). The drivers are probed for maximum resolution during installation, and after that the system simply assumes the resolution is ok.

You need to go through manuals for X window system configuration and reset it. If I am not mistaken, it is some .conf file within /etc/X11 or something.Cant change ubuntu screen resolution?
I suggest you check and see if your video card drivers are compatible with Ubuntu. This can prevent you from making changes to the display settings.
You can easily click on ';Desktop'; from menu bar.

then go to preferences and choose resolution size.

finally choose your favorite resolution.



But I think it would't work so good. choosing the resolution during the installation is the best way.
  • fish
  • myspace background
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment